The Kingsway Christian College Senior Boys’ team won the Australian Schools Basketball Championships which were held in the Nation’s capital, Canberra from Monday 30 November to Friday 4 December, 2015. The team competed in the Under 20, 3rd Division playing five other schools and were the only team from Western Australian to make it through to the Championships.
The boys went through undefeated, but had some close games, including the gold medal match against St Edmunds College where they came away with a 67 – 57 gold medal victory.
A special thank you goes to Mr Justin Hodge (a College parent) who accompanied the team on the week away in Canberra, acting as team manager.
Each team member had a stellar tournament contributing in every game, with great minutes played by all. Some stand out statistics from the week’s tournament were as follows;
• Jarrod Hodge was 4th top point scorer of division with an average 20.17 points per game, scoring 121 points in the week.
• Jarrod Hodge was also second in most three pointers scored throughout the week hitting 13 threes for the week.
• Jarrod Hodge was 4th in the rankings for most 2 pointers scored throughout the week.
• Joel Offereins was 5th top point scorer of division with an average of 16.5 points per game, scoring 99 points in the week.
• Joel was 5th in the rankings for most 2 pointers scored throughout the week.
• Arnold Buys and Kaleb Elliott were in the top 10 for most three pointers scored throughout the week, with Kaleb going 100% in the first three games.
• Memorable performance in grand final – Arnold Buys held the tournament leading scorer who averaged 24 points per game to 9 points in the gold medal game.
• Caleb Matchett finished in the top 10 for most 2 pointers scored throughout the week.
Congratulations to the following boys on their Gold medal performance in a National Tournament.
• Joel Offereins (Year 12) Captain
• Thomas Camer-Pesci (Year 12)
• Tyson Armstrong (Year 12)
• Jonathon Stevens (Year 12)
• Jarrod Hodge (Year 11)
• Kaleb Elliott (Year 11)
• James Parker (Year 11)
• Arnold Buys (Year 11)
• Caleb Matchett (Year 11)
• Daniel Yeung (Year 11)
A highlight of this remarkable team is their comradery. Many of the boys have played basketball together since they were in Year 5 at Kingsway. They have played in numerous competitions and tournaments throughout this time, some social and domestic outside of the school setting and many competing for the Kingsway Kings in interschool competitions and tournaments. Some significant wins over the years have been the School Sport WA junior division, the Coleman Cup - junior and senior divisions and numerous local competitions at the Warwick Leisure Centre. Mr Matt Elliott of Kingsway Christian College, team coach for many years said, “The opportunity to travel away to Canberra and competing for, and winning the Gold medal was simply the ‘icing on the cake’, topping off what has been a great journey for me and the boys. One I am sure we will treasure for years to come.”